Connections


On piano
Originally uploaded by Roostar
My daughter, Freya, turned three this week. People often say “don’t they grow up quickly?” but I can report that I’ve felt every day of her three years. Even the hard days, when she’s behaving badly or making my life that bit harder, I feel that I’ve been given a gift. One day she will grow up and leave home and sooner than that she’ll be even more stroppy and difficult, but right now I’m thankful.

It does feel that we’re in ‘calm before the storm’ territory. Very soon there are going to be major changes in the household. But, if the philosophy of living for the day has done anything for me, it’s taught me to enjoy the calm, while making preparations for what’s to come.

On a lighter note, Freya asked me last night what note a particular string on her ukulele was. I said “G” and Freya reacted by walking over to her mini-piano and playing a G. I quickly tuned the string to the piano and told her the next string was a C. She repeated the process until the uke was tuned up. I’d love to report that we then played a song, or that she wrote something meaningful on the piano. But no, of course, she got bored and just banged out clusters of notes before bathtime beckoned.

I’m not excited at her potential musical interests as much as the opportunity to see those connections being made. What next though?

Comments

Popular Posts