War With The Newts

 When I started writing on the blog again I promised myself that the posts would be more connected and less random than before. So, last week's was about a dream, this week's is about newts.

Well, no, it isn't. But it lieu of something consistent, here is a quick story from just before Christmas.

This year, I wasn't expecting a lot of presents, or any really. This was mostly to save money and because my wife and I agreed we didn't need much anyway. I've always loved buying presents but don' really need them. Much.

My son and I had visited the local supermarket and he asked me about a table with wrapped presents on it. I explained they were books, wrapped and with labels described which genre they were in, but with no other details. The idea was that you would contribute some money to the firefighters fund (thee is a whole other post here about why we don't value our firefighters) and take a book. We agreed it would be a good idea to get one and then got distracted.

A few days before Christmas we were back in the supermarket and noticed there were only two books left. One labeled 'Romance, the other 'Politics'. I picked up the politics one and contributed some money. My son put the wrapped book under the Christmas tree and on the day I unwrapped it. Yes, I am that sad.

The book was War with the Newts by Karel Capek. A review will follow.



Comments

Popular Posts