Steve Jobs

Many good people have died this week. Bert Jansch, David Bedford and Steve Jobs to name just three. Sad though it may sound, the one I felt the most emotional reaction to was Steve Jobs. I've been an Apple fan since I saw the PowerBook 180. When I bought it (100mb hard drive, floppy drive and greyscale display) I was so excited I sat up all night, finding more and more things I could do with it. And when I say 'all night' I mean, 'fell asleep at seven in the morning.'

Steve Jobs did not believe in giving the people what they wanted. He believed in giving them what he thought they would want. Not everything worked, but when it did it changed everything. The original iMac had a huge impact on design. The iPod and iTunes changed the music industry. The iPad made people realise that, even if they had no use for a tablet computer, they still could find one.

And the Mac. The Apple Macintosh opened up so many good ideas and design evolutions that it literally changed the face of the modern office and home. I once told someone I chose to use Macs because they were sexier than PCs. "Don't be stupid," my friend said, "computers can't be sexy." But they could, they can and the mad with the vision to make them that way was Steve Jobs.

Comments

Popular Posts