Jazzing it up (again)

Much like the wider issue of artistic crop rotation I find musical taste moves in circles.

Having listened to a lot of jazz (in concert and on record) I've slowly moved away from it over the last ten years. Maybe it's because I've been taking my playing more seriously and I just can't play jazz well.

Recently, thanks to some superb releases from the ECM label, Branford Marsalis and others I've found myself getting more in touch with that strange genre that covers so much ground. I love it more than ever now. The ECM albums I've got fond of are:

Sunrise: Masabumi Kikuchi Trio
The Well: Tord Gustavsen Quartet
Vespers: Iro Haarla Quintet

Branford Marsalis's album of duets with Joey Calderazzo, Songs of Mirth and Melancholy is well worth your time too.

Comments

Popular Posts