Since I turned 50 in March I have been trying to complete a list of fifty new things I could do this year. Finally, after a lot of procrastination, I have a workable list. These are a mix of things I really want to do, things other people would like me to do and things I'm going to do just to get further out from that pesky comfort zone. Quite a few ideas came from my fabulous daughter, Freya, who would not let me swap No. 25 for 'learning to make things from loom bands.' Thank you Freya.
2. Spend a day with Jude
3. Spend a day with Freya
4. Watch all six Star Wars Film in a day
5. Play an entire gig with the upright bass
6. Write some cheerful music
7. Finish reading Dante's Divine Comedy
8. Finish reading Milton's Paradise Lost
9. Release a book of poems
10. Learn a formal dance
11. Learn more of another language
12. Take some street photography
13. Try snowboarding
14. Sort out my awful posture
15. Make a short film
16. Play tag somewhere unusual
17. Learn to use a sewing machine
18. Improve my music reading skills
19. Learn to cook some new dishes.
20. Climb a tree.
22. Go drunken knitting
23. Apply for the LRPS (distinction with the Royal Photographic Society).
24. Read a self help book all the way through.
25. Go on a rollercoaster.
26. Try Archery.
27. Visit friends more.
28. Extract my own DNA.
29. Meet a tardigrade.
31. Don't get a vasectomy.
32. E publish my two finished novels on Kindle.
34. Send some poems to Poetry Magazine and The New Yorker.
35. Learn to recite a favourite poem.
38. Sing O Solitude all the way through in Andreas Scholl's key.
39. Be a forensic scientist for an hour (with Freya).
40. Have a pillow fight.
42. Make an album with [The band with no name whose name is soon to be revealed].
44. Go to a play I haven't seen before.
45. Go to an opera I haven't seen before.
46. Go to an exhibition of paintings or photographs I haven't seen before.
47. Go see Les Miserables (Noooooo!).
48. Improve my chess skills.
50. Do more.
[Update: I will be scoring through items on the list as I do them]