Peter Gabriel and The Security Project


I’m going to see the Security Project band next month. They play the songs of Peter Gabriel from his first four solo albums. I’m mainly going because the person in the bass role is Trey Gunn (playing his ten string Warr Guitar) and this will be my first chance to watch him live. It doesn’t hurt that the rest of the band are top notch musicians, many of whom have played with Gabriel.

Being a research orientated sort of person I went back to the albums Gabriel made post Genesis but pre So. Over the holidays I’ve been listening, sequentially to them and it’s been an interesting journey.

The first album, officially called Peter Gabriel but known as Car, was a blistering, energetic piece of work which, while being great to listen to, reminded me of why I didn’t enjoy Genesis. This feels like he’s burning the old band out of his system.

The second album, officially called Peter Gabriel but known as Scratch, was described by many on its release as darker and less commercial. I suspect what they really meant was that it didn’t have Solsbury Hill on it. Robert Fripp is a welcome presence and there are places Gabriel explores here that seem different from all his other releases. I didn’t know this very well when it came out but feel like I’ll spend a lot more time with it.

The third album, officially called Peter Gabriel but known as Melt, is the one I know best. It’s full of songs I remember from the end of my school days and although I never owned a copy at the time, I must have had a friend who did.

The fourth album, officially called Peter Gabriel but know as Security, I knew a little. Hearing it again now I find it full of great songs but I don’t enjoy the instrumentation so much. This is what makes the prospect of seeing The Security Project play these songs live such an exciting one.

Just before I posted this I went back to the band’s web site and noticed they are also playing selected songs from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which many suggest is the best Peter Gabriel album ever, despite being by Genesis. I did not enjoy Genesis and I still have huge reservations about their music, but I am considering giving this PG written, double concept album a go.

The last thing to add is that, as I’ve been playing through all these albums in the car my children have been commenting. My youngest loves Sledgehammer and asks for it to be played regularly. My eldest, currently seven years old, is intrigued by No Self Control, from the third album. I am trying not to read too much into this.

P.S. If you’re reading this an you know The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, let me know what you think of it.

Comments

Popular Posts