The Wandering Pawn

Years ago, last century actually, I was in Assisi and bought an olive wood chess set from a local craftsman. I've played hundreds of games on it since then, but lost one of the pawns about a year before my last house move.

Since the set was handmade I considered making a replacement pawn myself. Then I remembered my negative skill level with anything like woodworking and went for a more practical idea.

A quick search on the internet revealed several places that sold reclaimed wood, one of which had olive wood blanks. Then, after a few recommendations I found a wood-turner, suitably equipped with a lathe, who could take the blank and fashion a new pawn, using one of the others as a model.

Once everything was sourced and booked I wandered into my garage to find a hammer, and found the missing pawn.

Comments

Popular Posts