Every Gig A Challenge

Saturday's gig was an experience. Actually it was several experiences.

The venue was lovely, a big country house with large, beautiful grounds. We played in the lobby. A very nice lobby but, none the less, a lobby.
The people were terrific. Not a snotty attitude amongst them. The hosts and guests made up a willing, enthusiastic audience of the type we'd be happy to have at any gig.
The downside was that we had no opportunity to sound-check so the first note we played was the first note I'd heard at full volume. It was horrible. I wasn't singing the first song so I played the bass from memory and tried to deal with the fug of noise all around me. I could just about hear our excellent drummer so I had a reliable beat to work with. The second song had me singing and it didn't go well. I couldn't hear my bass, I couldn't hear my voice but I could hear the tune being played in what sounded like two different keys. That's when my brain went into meltdown. I couldn't pitch my voice (something I usually do to the bass) and if there's something I can't stand more than forgetting words or basslines, it's singing out of key. So my brain crashed, I lost all confidence and, out of nowhere I started singing the first song. The song I never sing.
We had to stop the song and stat again. I felt like a fool but persisted and survived.
Luckily, form then on, with work form various band members running out front to check the sound, we started to improve. My bass went up in volume but then I was having to play it delicately because it was now too loud. That wasn't very satisfying.
But if Soul Beaver had a motto it would be "Every Gig A Challenge." And there hasn't been a gig to defeat us yet. After a break we came back and with the help of good sense, beer crates, gaffa tape and gumption, we rocked out. By the end the floor was full of people dancing and generally having a good time. Lots of positive feedback and maybe even some future bookings. All's well...

I love this band, it's like a second family and on the drive home (during which I only got lost once) I counted my blessings, again.

Comments

Popular Posts