Monday's gig (yet more Juana Molina)

On Monday night I finally got to see Juana Molina live. The gig was at the ICA in London which is a place that seemed designed for me. A great place run by nice people and (best of all) with a great little shop. The venue was tiny and I was able to get a good place at the front. Blue Roses (Laura Groves) was the support and I felt an immediate sense of relief that I wasn't going to be counting the minutes until she finished. Beautiful melodies, well played and a good stage presence.
But them after a short break, on came Juana with her bassist. Right form the first song (Un Dia) she captivated the audience. I was close enough to see her feet dancing around the looper pedals and the looks traded with the bass player. She's an interesting artist as she's got the energy of a young girl, bobbing around, excited and full of life. But she's also got a maturity and a precision in the way she constructs her songs. I haven't enjoyed a gig this much in a long time.

Below is a show she did on KCRW, try to get past the slightly creepy intro by the (I'm sure very nice) DJ.

Comments

Popular Posts