David

Many years ago I used to regularly visit my uncle in Kent. I come from a Kentish family and, although my uncle was a Londoner he was extremely proud of his routes, which is why he chose to work and settle there.

After he retired he moved to Tenterden and The Vine pub became his regular. The main appeal of this place was the friendly atmosphere created by the couple who ran the place. David and Sheila extended their hospitality to my uncle and even his confused visiting nephew. When the power went down in the town one terrible winter, it was David and Sheila who called my uncle and got him up to the pub for hot meals and company. They bantered with him, introduced him to other characters in the neighbourhood and opened their doors to the many people who attended his funeral.

This week I discovered that David had just died. He was a good man and will be much missed.

Comments

Popular Posts