Berlin

Give or take a few days it was twenty years ago that I was in Berlin. I got there, and had to go home, before the East officially met the West. But I did spend a lot of time in the cafes, listening to the mixture of excitement and worry. People were getting ready for the moment this city and country would be joined again, although a lot of people were getting anxious for their jobs.

I spent some time at the wall, holes appearing already. I chipped away with the rest of them crowds and got to shake hands with guards on the other side. Somewhere there is a photograph of me there with an embarrassing jacket on. I'll dig it out and post it.

A few years later I was back in Berlin, working and I wasn't able to find the spot I have previously been at. I'm hoping to go back again soon. It's one of those cities where magic can happen.

Comments

Popular Posts