We will remember them

I discover new things every time I talk to my mum these days. Today being Remembrance Day we were chatting about the First World War. I was already aware that my dad's dad, as Grenadier Guard had fought and been wounded in Belgium. I also knew that mum's dad, in the Royal Horse Artillery, had been blown off his horse by a shell, sent back to hospital in Leeds to recuperate and then sent back to the front line. Both my grandfathers survived the war and had reasonably long lives afterwards. What I hadn't know was that my mum's uncles (her dad's brothers) had both died in the conflict. Given that my own dad (Royal Navy) and his brother (Royal Marines) had both fought and survived the Second World War and that I work with the Army, today has been particularly poignant.

Comments

Popular Posts