Hail and farewell (for a few days)

I've had two odd experiences with the weather recently. Yesterday, while driving out for provisions I felt a moment in time shift from the old phase to the new phase. The light was draining away, it was raining and there was a certain stillness in the air which made me feel as if the whole world had just clicked into something new. I'd been waiting for this for weeks. All I need to do now is work out what the 'new phase' is.

Today was something more basic but no less dramatic. I was finishing up at the day job when I heard the patter of rain on the roof of the library (where I was practicing my iambic pentameters). I then heard thunder and decided that was the time to make a run for the car. Before getting to it the hail came down, hard. There was a river of still frozen hail the size of marbles, rushing down the road. To me, the only thing better than heavy rain or hail would be if I was appreciating it with a good cup of coffee and something tasty to eat. Not being in the right place for such treats I dived for the car and enjoyed listening to some Keith Jarrett before the hail subsided.

With that written I'm off for a week or so. Everyone I know who shares a surname with me is getting into my car tomorrow morning and heading to Kent for a break, and a chance to (re)visit special places. It's going to be a mixture of pilgrimage, rest, catching up and change. Some of this will occur in pubs, very little will occur (I suspect) near internet hotspots. Keep posted just in case.

Comments

Popular Posts