More music

I'm getting truly excited about the musical adventures to come.

This Sunday (I've said it before but it's worth repeating) I'm in a house band for the drum students of pro drummer/teacher Simon Ash. We have just one gig (this Sunday) and have had only two rehearsals. Short term projects like this are like taking on part time jobs; you can enjoy them more because you know you won't end up mired in disputes and grudges. It's a fresh challenge, especially now I've agreed to sing Teenage Kicks.

The added advantage to playing this gig is that the man putting it together is a friend from way back. Someone I lost touch with and thought I wouldn't speak to , let alone play in a band with again. One song we play in this band is a Chicago blues, very similar to the sort of things we played in the 1980s. The main difference is that this time round we sound a lot better.

As well as all this I re-established communications with Mr Brough last night. Our ideas of the sort of music we want to make is guided more by a philosophy of creating sounds that we would want to hear, rather than a concept such as, say, "let's make a fusion album" Which is pretty close to how it started. Mr Brough can do amazing things with guitar and bass, while I am drifting into using my Stick Bass with all the MIDI toys that it came with. The next step will be a keyboard free jam session to see what emerges. I like to think that the combination of years of playing and active listening are going to pay off.

And for those people bemoaning the photograph free nature of this blog recently I can report that I've found the cable that links the camera to the Powerbook, but now the internet link has died, forcing me to write this on another machine in another place.

Fingers crossed that all this can be sorted out by the weekend so I can share some action shots of the weekend gig.

Comments

Popular Posts